Open Letter to 6A

Thank you Y6A for a !!!FaNtAStIc!!!! assembly. Thank you, Mr G for a !!!!SuPeR wOnDeRfUl!!!!! act. It was great, it was so good!!!! I enjoyed it, but what for me is more important, it has made me think.
*
I remember a study I read some years ago about Role Models for children and teens. It was super interesting. Your !!!!MeGa-GrEaT!!!! assembly reminded me of that investigation.
While I was watching Einstein I was thinking: "Who is my Role Model?". Einstein had been one in the past, Michael Jordan had been one in the past, the writer Jorge Luis Borges had been too. But, today...who is my role model today?
*
I came back to class and OF COURSE we discussed what we had learnt with your performance. I asked my students who was their Role Model. Answers included Gasol, Almudena Cid, Messi, Ronaldo, Felix Baumgartner ...more famous and rich, successful people; and I even got two "Myself" replies.
The study i had read some years ago predicted this. The answers were always rich, famous, successful people.
*
My question for them was: "Is this right? Are these rich, famous and successful people the BEST of the BEST? Are these our best models to follow. Are these the people who are making the planet a better place?
*
 As we were discussing this M. reminded me of a girl that we had briefly mentioned some weeks ago in a Cono lesson. That was it! I found it!
She is my Role Model of the present! I choose her! Yes, I got it!
If you are interested on My Role Model, her name is Malala Yousafzai.
Once again, thank you 6A, Mr. G for the inspiration.
 *
NOTES ON MALALA 
Malala is a girl, 14 now, who lives in a very difficult place in Pakistan. This place is controlled by a group called The Taliban. They are Muslims, but understand their religion in a way that is very radical. The way they consider women is especially worrying.
Malala attends a school for girls. When the Talibans enter their city, they prohibit the participation of girls in Education. The Talibans are very violent. If you go against them, they will punish you in a very violent way. So, lots of girls stop going to school.
While this is happening, a very important NEWS Agency is interested in knowing what is happening.  Not many people dare to speak. Malala, 11 years old in 2009 decides to send her diary, of course writing under pseudonym. At the same time she participates in the creation of a video-documentary.
This is the beginning of her life as an activist for girls education.
But sad news arrived from Pakistan...
...Now it's your investigation. Here are some links:

1Malala Yousafzai in Wikipedia
2New York Times Documentary from 2009 about Malala. Caution please. This video contains some scenes of violence. The world can be horrible. Be ready to close your eyes. If I leave it here it is because it is the documentary that (together with her diary) made her popular.
3Malala the Girl Blogger, from BBC
4Malala´s Diary, from 2009
5The New Yorker article "The Girl who wanted to go to school"
6Malala Yousafzai, Una Valiente Heroina. (Spanish)
7 Photos
8 Spanish Wikipedia Article
9Malala se recupera
10El blog de Malala
11La Leccion de Malala

No comments: